Guess what... your girl is a college graduate!!! Ok... so, technically, I am not done until April. I still have an internship to complete, working with CPS (child protection services), but I am done with all my undergraduate classes. It feels so good! Graduation was really special for me. I woke up in the happiest mood and tried to look extra pretty, because the last time I graduated, I woke up late and was in pain thanks to the monster that overtakes my body once a month, so I threw on a skirt, put my hair back, and called it good. I vowed to look amazing at my next graduation ceremony after that day.
 |
| Social work graduates of 2010 |
The ceremony was full of laughter and smiles as all of us celebrated our accomplishments. I felt so proud to be standing next to my classmates when they announced
"graduating with a bachelor in social work..." We all got loud after we heard that, which made me realize how passionate all of us are about what we will soon venture out to do. It's going to take all we have, but I know each of us have the heart to do it.
 |
| My love, D'Von and I |
After the commencement ceremony, there was what they call a "lei ceremony" in Hawaii. Everyone is congratulated with tons of beautiful flower leis, candy leis, beaded leis, string leis... etc. I won't ever forget how that felt. It was so much fun to have my parents, my sister, and her puppy there with me, and it was such a beautiful day, which I am also thankful for. After graduation, my family and a couple of my friends and I went to Lanikai, my favorite beach.

The day was memorable and I am so thankful I ended my undergrad at BYU Hawaii, where I studied social work and made friends that I will keep forever. I learned more about myself than a lot of people probably do at this age, and I know what I need to do to become the woman I want to be eventually. I have a lot to work on, but this journey helped me open my eyes and get to know myself on a whole other level.
 |
| Me and my sweet Koa |
The last week of school was more fun than it should have been. It made it difficult to leave. I definitely shed a couple tears as I watched the island disappear from the plane window. I already miss my friends that became "ohana" and the beauty that I was surrounded by each day. I plan to visit yearly, for a period of weeks, since my sister will probably live there for the remainder of her life. I talked to her today about flying out after my internship and staying for three or four weeks until I start my job working at camp. We will see what happens. As for now, it's time to focus on my internship!
Aloha oe', to my beautiful Hawaii... my first home away from home. I left a piece of my heart on the island and there, it will stay forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment